Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Tortoise and the Hair

A few days ago, it was raining pretty heavily, and a little turtle showed up on the sidewalk outside my window. I don't know where he came from, maybe he was temporarily flooded out of his home, but it was nice to see him for a little while.

I thought about him last night as we swam. One of the drills they had us do was a continuous 10 minute swim, with the entire group starting in the same lane. This was to simulate the start of a Triathlon, so we would feel all the bodies on top of each other and learn to navigate our way through it. Once we reached the end of the lane, we were to swim under the lane line and swim back the other direction in the next lane. We were to do this continuously for 10 minutes, and if we reached the end of the last lane, we were to get out and walk back to the first lane and start again. I completed the entire pool and half of the first lane again before they blew the 10 minute whistle.

Now, each lane is 50 meters long. There are 8 lanes in the pool. If we do the math, that means I swam a little more than 400 meters in 10 minutes. The swimming portion of the race is almost a mile. A mile equals 1600 meters, so I swam a quarter mile in 10 minutes! My pace wasn't piddly, but it wasn't fast, either. It was a good, steady pace.
Slow and steady wins the race! (Or, completes it, and that's my aim.)

At the end of my team swim work out, I was supposed to swim a 100 cool down. I realized, though, that if I swam a 200, I'd have swum a mile. So, I did. :D And I felt great afterwards!

The hair part of this, is that I'm starting to warm up to this new style. I can style it in about 5 minutes and it looks much more styled than my long hair ever did. I don't know if I will keep it, but I no longer hate it. :D

3 comments:

Sarah said...

i'm glad you no longer hate your hair... i'm going later this week to get mine cut for locks of love and was a little worried after your last post... but last time i cut it for locks of love i totatlly shaved it, so any length would be better than that... i love reading your updates- i looked into team in training after Brittany Ballinger (youth from St. Matthews) died of cancer, but it wasn't something i could commit to at the time, but i love living it through your stories... keep it up.

Leslie Stokes said...

Thanks, Sarah! I'd love to see pics of your cut when you donate. This thing wouldn't let me email you directly, but my email address is lesstokes@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Leslie!

Just checking on your blog. I love the analogy you make between the tortoise and your own goals. Keep putting one step in front of the other, over and over again!

Mom