Monday, August 27, 2007

Things from the Deep

I'm still struggling with my fear of open water and my imagination. This weekend I couldn't get it out of my head that there were creatures below me, so I started thinking creatively--engaging a little mental training. The biggest trouble with the fears is that they aren't motivating. Instead of speeding up to get away from them, I pull my head out of the water and look around to assure myself everything is okay and I know where I am. I needed some way to keep my head in the water and my momentum moving forward. So, I turned those creatures into the Little Mermaid! It really worked. I felt like I was playing--singing with her in my head. Hooray for cartoon heroines!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you change the lyrics to "Under da lake... da da da da.... Under da lake... da da da da... darling it's betta down where it's wetta under da lake"? Or would that just be silly?

erica said...

Good Luck, Les! I know you'll do awesome tomorrow and it's been fun reading about your "trials and tribulations" in prepping for the race. -Erica Warren