Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Mary Crist's progress

I saw Mary Crist today! She's doing well and it looks like the chemo is working. She had great energy and seemed more like herself. It was so good to see her. She'll come back to work starting Monday, but only on a part-time basis.
On Memorial Day, she sent out an email about her progress. As you'll see, she has a great sense of humor!

Hello Friends,
I'm sitting in my study enjoying this beautiful morning. I wanted to share with you all some of my celebrations. I have been free of pain killers for 3 days--yeah!!!! My body appears to be my body--down to 150lbs from 195 (all water weight that I shed). My feet are normal and I can wear shoes again. The chemo is working. My distended stomach is not distended. My right lung that kept filling up with fluid is slowly draining on it's own and is only about one fourth full if that much. I have purchased a flute and am learning to play again. I played in elementary through college and afterwards until I lost my flute in a house fire in Feb. 1990. I was a good solid orchestra player and played in a number of Agnes Scott's Theater departments musicals.I used to pick it up when I needed solace. So, after 17 years I went a purchased a nice used flute. I'm having to regain my mouth muscles and work my lungs. For the last week I have been getting out everyday for at least four hours. I did lay low on Saturday. I woke up with a low grade fever from sinus problems. Fortunately a hardy yawn yesterday burst through my clogged up right ear and I am right again. Thank you body and whatever else for helping me with that irritation. I went to my SCT group on Monday and had a great time. I am remembering to take pleasure in something each day. There is so much to enjoy.
Today is Memorial Day and I do honor the fallen soldiers of our many wars. I would just as soon we not go to war. We do, though. I am having my own Memorial Day that I want to share with you all. I have been and will continue as long as possible to enjoy my red hair. My hair is falling out. Mary margaret asked me two days ago if my hair was falling out. I said a little. I then took my fingers and pulled on my hair expecting to get nothing. Well, I got a thumb and finger full of hair with little pull. I laughed as I held my hair and looked at it. So, much for me thinking my hair wasn't falling out a lot yet. I am glad I buzzed it short. I find that although I am feeling sad at losing my hair that I don't feel traumatized. So, today I honor my falling hairs in their sacrifice in my war against the lymphoma cells inside of me. My hair falling out is another sign that the chemo is at work. I, Mary Crist, will prevail and continue to live and enjoy my life, flute, and friends. I hope you all have a great day. Take time to enjoy the beauty of the day and the beauty of each of your lives.
Peace,
Mary Crist

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt